Monday, April 4, 2011

A little about me...

Let's get the basics out of the way so we can get to the good stuff.  I'm a 20-year-old student at the University of Tennessee, studying English with a Creative Writing Concentration and a minor in Women's Studies.  I write for a gaming blog called Critical Gamer, which you should totally check out because it's awesome!  Indeed, some of my works end up here after I submit them to CG, explaining why this American uses British spellings sometimes.

Right, now for the good stuff.  I'm an avid gamer, and considering the focus of this blog, that's probably why you're here.

I'm also a feminist.  In a community that is very male-dominated, I wish to be a small voice of reason on the topic of gender in this context.  Please don't assume that means I think I'm "special" for being a female gamer!  I merely think that, as is true in many walks of life, women's experiences as gamers are too seldom shared, and I wish to remedy that problem to a small extent.

Of course, that's not to say all I care about is gender issues in gaming.  I love gaming as a whole.  Here's my basic "Gamer Profile" for you:

Favorite Games? In descending order:  Bayonetta, El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron (what's that?  It's not out yet?  I don't care!), Beyond Good & Evil, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, Pokemon Black & White, Star Fox 64, The Sims, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Favorite Genres? Hack-and-slash, action/adventure, and 3D action in general.  Also tactical/third-person shooters, sci-fi shooters, and the occasional RPG.

Consoles or PC? Consoles.  Though I learned my lesson with Sims 2 on the PS2... a Sims game will never again come anywhere near my consoles!  Favorite being the N64.  Can't beat what you grew up on, you know?

Favorite Developers? Definitely Platinum Games and Hideki Kamiya.  Not only did the two spawn my all-time favorite game, but they have a consistent track record of brilliance.  In true Japanese form, they make no compromises--I love that about them.  I believe them to be some of the most innovative developers of this console gen.  Indeed, much of the staff from Platinum Games came from the revered but short lived Clover Studio, who brought us Okami, Viewtiful Joe, and God Hand.  I'm also a bit of a Nintendo fangirl, though I'm really just a fan of Zelda and Pokemon.

So yeah... will post some more in the future!  But for now, school work awaits...

No comments:

Post a Comment