Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Filly of the Month: Bayonetta


What better way to kick off my new monthly feature than to discuss one of my all-time favorite video game characters?  Bayonetta is confident, sexy, powerful, and doesn't stand for anybody's nonsense... and damn, does she love to dance!  Yet the game Bayonetta has racked up a lot of criticism on the interwebs as being "sexist" with many self-proclaimed "feminist" bloggers tearing the game apart for its supposed objectification of women, being that the camera often shamelessly zooms in on her "assets" and she's nude during her finishing moves.  I'll be the first to tear something apart if I feel it's degrading to women, but truth be told, Bayonetta, the character, is a prime example of female empowerment.

The problem with saying Bayonetta is "objectified" is that it suggests she passively allows others, especially men to overpower and use her as a sexual object.  Anyone who's played the game should be able to tell she is by no means a passive being, taking matters into her own hands from the get-go, and this is but one reason I can't help but love her as a female role model.  In fact, she reverses traditional gender roles by saving the male love interest, Luka, numerous times, and relishes in beating up on Angels whom she frequently calls "boys."  Sure, she flaunts what she's got and her dialogue is loaded with sexual innuendo--but that's her choice, and I don't feel that any woman, real or fictional, should have to hide her sexuality when she'd much rather show it off.  And while she engages in harmless flirting, she doesn't end up forming a relationship with Luka... a nice bonus, since this is just a further assertion of her independence.

Of course, Bayo is more than just a combination of "ice queen" and "sex bomb."  As the story develops, we see her softer side emerge, in particular toward the undeniably adorable Cereza.  Awww... underneath that form-fitting catsuit and well endowed bosom is a heart of gold.

Her strength, confidence, wit, independence, and compassion, not to mention her unabashed sexuality, make her a fantastic, female role model in a video game history.  But please, stop comparing her to Sarah Palin... it makes this fangirl quite sad.

Best Quotes:

"I'm not much for the talkative types. How about we have a little fun, instead? You did plan on having fun with me, right? There'll be plenty of time for pillow talk afterwards."

"If you get in my way, I will... how do the Americans put it? Oh, yes. 'Bust a cap in yo ass!'"

"Come now, Cheshire.  Look at me.  Do I look like I have any interest in children?  Now, making them... well, that's another story."

Filly of the Month is a little spot for me to talk about strong women in video games, be they protagonists or supporting characters.  My aim is not only to inform my readers, but also to treat myself to friendly reminders that for every frustrating "damsel in distress" I see in a game, there are at least ten more positive, female role models.

4 comments:

  1. Love Bayonetta, I think the game and the character are just amazing and unique.
    My new # 1 Videogame ever! beating God Of War, Kingdom Hearts and the classic toy like Nintendo ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest, the eye candy was appealing the first playthrough but i never thought the game was degrading to women (though i'm not really an expert seeing as i'm not a woman...>_>) I didn't even look at it in that light. What i got out of Bayo was a no-nonsense female lead who wasn't afraid to cross the line. The second playthrough and onward, it was all about the combat for moi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought that the blatant oversexualisation of Bayonetta was an ironic statement about the sexist portrayal of women in video games, anyone who claims that Bayonetta is a sexist game itself clearly has based their entire opinion on a quick glance at the front cover.

    Also the game was brilliant, but hard mode kicked my ass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the positive comments, people! Glad to see so much love for Bayo out there XD <3

    ReplyDelete