Thursday, August 11, 2011

Operation Rainfall: Another Ray of Hope

Yesterday I gave into the temptation to further research a couple of the Wii Action RPGs that may never even make it onto American shores.  Of course, I'm referring to Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and Pandora's Tower.  Last we heard from Nintendo of America, they said there were currently "no plans" to bring these titles to North America, despite the rumors that some are already localized and ready to go.  I'm probably a certifiable masochist for letting my curiosity get the best of me, but if you are too, these are the two videos I watched:



Aforementioned "ray of hope" relates to a recent statement from NOA President Reggie Fils-Aime to IGN.
We will be watching very closely what happens in Europe [with Xenoblade Chronicles]. Certainly if there are business opportunities and positive consumer uptake from some of those titles, that will be great data for us to consider as we look at what to do with these titles. (Source)
Nothing certain by any means, but it's a step in the right direction from a company that has been infuriatingly indecisive and vague lately.  Obviously this means I'm going to encourage any Europeans with interest in this game to buy it on August 19th.  But what's the proper course of action for those of us in North America?

It's tricky; something tells me some of the less patient Operation Rainfall supporters are going to jump the gun and import their copies in attempts to improve potentially lackluster European sales. The problem is that if too many people import and NOA does bring the game here, we'll end up with a misrepresentation of North American interest, and that could spell death for any localization opportunities for other games.

So my second humble request is for North American RPG fans to wait it out.  Honestly, the games look so good that if they aren't localized, I will soft mod and import--but I'm hoping that if we stand our ground long enough, it won't come to that.  It's time for Americans to do what we do best:  be stubborn!

No comments:

Post a Comment